Not just proxy-pass to apache but implements the full nginX+ PHP-FPM stack !
The plugin lets a cpanel user switch the webserver to nginX (http://nginx.org/) which process PHP scripts via FastCGI protocol using
PHP-FPM (http://php-fpm.org/(outdated docs!), http://php.net/manual/en/install.fpm.php )
For a server admin cpXstack provide the following advantages:
- Provide an alternate webserver and PHP stack than the one supported by Cpanel
- cpXstack WHM module lets an admin to limit the maximum number of PHP process per user which lets him scale the webhosting plans according to the amount of PHP processing power
- nginX uses an asynchronous event-driven approach to handling requests, instead of the Apache HTTP Server model that defaults to a threaded or process-oriented approach. Nginx's event-driven approach can provide more predictable performance under high loads;thereby enabling admins to reduce server load and scale server resources.
- nginX consumes lesser RAM while comparing with Apache HTTPD thereby helping admins to efficiently utilize the servers primary memory .
- PHP-FPM has more features than other FastCGI implementations and is used by many highload installations
- Provide multiple versions of PHP to the end users
- Provides a clean install and uninstall - the plugin does not make significant changes to your cpanel/other service configuration and once uninstalled brings back the system into the same system configuration as before.
For an end user cpXstack provide the following advantages:
- Choice to use nginX+PHP-FPM instead of Apache/PHP
- Most Front Controller Pattern based packages in PHP like Drupal,Joomla,Wordpress etc works out of the box. User can add additional location based configuration from his plugin frontend.
- Faster page loads for static files and dynamic PHP content due to the inherent design features of nginX and PHP-FPM ( http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Apache_vs_nginx )
- Better protection for users against DDOS attack due to inherent design features of nginX
- Choice of PHP version